Why is my fish tank turning green so quickly?
Causes of Algae in Aquariums
Too much light or too many nutrients in the water will cause algae to grow rapidly. If you experience algae overgrowth, it could be caused by: Leaving house lights on too long. The tank receiving too much direct sunlight.
How do I clear my green aquarium water?
- Keep water changes at about 15 – 20% every other week.
- Remove waste from the tank with an aquarium siphon.
- Remove nitrates, as this is the primary food source for algae.
- Cut feeding to once every other day.
- Decrease the lighting period to no more then 6 hours per day.
How do you fix green algae in a fish tank?
To get rid of green water, you can blackout the tank for at least a week, which is hard on your plants. Another option is to purchase a UV sterilizer, which will kill off the algae within two to three days.