How do I keep my pond water clean naturally?
- Understand that a little bit of algae or discoloration is normal.
- Use beneficial bacteria to starve single-cell algae that turns water green.
- Add a wide variety of aquatic plants to starve string algae.
- Add a larger biofilter.
- Don’t overfeed your fish.
- Don’t overcrowd your fish.
Are fish ponds hard to maintain?
Water gardens don’t require much maintenance. In fact, it only takes about 10 minutes per week to ensure your pond and fish are healthy, but it’s important that you keep up with maintenance tasks throughout the year.
How often should a fish pond be cleaned?
All ponds need regular maintenance to prevent them silting up and turning into bog gardens. Small ponds need a complete overhaul to remove debris every five years, while large ponds need thorough cleaning every 10 years.