Can you survive puffer fish poison?
The fatality rate for food poisoning due to pufferfish for the last 10 years (from 2006 to 2015) is 2.8%.
What happens if a puffer fish bite you?
Symptoms generally occur 10-45 minutes after eating the pufferfish poison and begin with numbness and tingling around the mouth, salivation, nausea, and vomiting. Symptoms may progress to paralysis, loss of consciousness, and respiratory failure and can lead to death.
Which part of puffer fish is poisonous?
The liver from a pufferfish, also known as fugu, is considered a delicacy in Japan. But eating it is risky, as the fish’s liver contains a high concentration of a deadly poison known as tetrodotoxin (TTX), which causes paralysis if ingested.