One of the basic skills of DIY electrical is knowing how to make connections inside switch, light and outlet boxes. But being able to “fish” wire, as the pros call it, through your walls lets you add new switches, lights and outlets exactly where you want them, or add communication cable like Cat 6 yourself.
How do I run cable through existing walls?
Read and learn about hide
- Mark the Wall. Use a pencil to mark the wall indicating the bottom edge of the TV where it hangs on the wall.
- Locate Studs in the Wall.
- Drill the Holes.
- Install the Voltage Boxes.
- Run Fish Stick Through Holes.
- Push the Cords and Cables Through.
- Attach the Face Plates.
- Replace the TV.
What to use to fish wire through walls?
Tools required to Fish Wire Through a Wall
- Stud finder.
- Drill with a flexible shaft or auger bit.
- Wire strippers.
- Electrician’s fish tape.
- Cable ripper.
- Drywall saw or jigsaw.
- NM cable.