After several uses (5 or more) it’s suggested to perform a cleaning of the reel and a light lubrication moving components visible after opening and/or removing the coil. WD-40 Specialist Silicone works well for lubricating these moving parts and also provides protection against rust and corrosion.
Do you oil or grease a fishing reel?
Unscrew the reel handle and remove, and use a cotton swab to wipe down the bearings and remove dirt or old lubricant. Apply one drop of reel oil to each bearing and to joints on handle, reassemble handle and screw cap. Oil the Reel Body: Once finished, wipe down the entire reel lightly with reel oil.
How do you clean and lubricate a fishing reel?
- Take the reel apart.
- Strip or tape the line.
- Apply Simple Green Marine All-Purpose Boat Cleaner.
- Use a toothbrush or small paintbrush to scrub.
- Make sure to rinse all the cleaner.
- Thoroughly dry to prevent rust.
- Apply grease and oil.
What is a good lubricant for fishing reels?
- Yamalube Marine Multi-Purpose Grease.
- Penn X-1R Precision Reel Grease.
- Ardent Reel Butter Grease.
- Cal’s Universal Fishing Reel and Star Drag Grease.
- Penn Precision Reel Oil.
- Ardent Reel Butter Oil.
- Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Lubricant.
- Corrosion Technologies ReelX Oil.